Sunday 15 November 2009

Race 3 Winter Series (8.01km)

Race 3 Rostrevor Day Race 8.01km
Saturday 14th November


The expression having a bad day springs to mind. The skies cleared for a lovely day sun shine and blue skies but cold. I started warming up but something didn’t feel right. I tried to just block it out and get on with it. We all gathered at the start and away we went.

Taking the same route as race one it was up the grassy hill passed the cafe and into Rostrevor Forest. "The Hill" Only this time we could see what was in front of us. Oh yeah and it was twice as long as race one. Instead of turning right we carried on further up the hill this time. I was well warmed up but couldn’t seem to find a rhythm or a breathing pattern. Legs felt o.k. but my chest and sides felt like I was getting stabbed. I walked a bit ran a bit but lost so much time. When we reached the turn the road levelled out a bit. Even on the level parts and downs I still felt terrible. I pushed on at a very slow pace through the forest and then up a bit of single track that lead into the forest above the top car park. Very steep section and this had most people walking. A steep descent into the car park then a climb heading for the stone. Mostly walking paths from the stone back down heading for home. I found myself holding back on the down hill. Every step I took I could feel the pain through my sides and chest. Back onto the same tracks from the first race. I knew it was all downhill from here. Still I couldn’t push on jogging most of the way back in a very disheartened mood. Across the finish line 44th out of 57 and a time off 00.50.21.

The route was tough but in better form I would call it a great route. Race 8 I hope to be back on this one feeling better and run it right.

Bad day eh!

Hopefully be back stronger for the 5th race. I am missing race 4 as I am doing the Causeway Coast Adventure Race. Glens of Antrim 28th November.

No comments:

Post a Comment